We hope that the following information will be of both interest and value in telling you all you need to know about our Nursery. We are here to help in any way that we can so please feel free to talk to the Nursery staff about any of the information contained in this booklet.
Our aim is to provide a happy, caring and stimulating learning environment for children before they start school. We will plan experiences that are fun, dynamic and appropriate to individual children through a play based curriculum using both our indoor and outdoor areas. We aim to establish the vital partnership between parents and carers and value your contribution, advice and support. We encourage you to play an active part in such an important stage of your child’s learning and look forward to working with you to help make your child’s time here an effective and positive one.
The nursery is staffed by qualified and experienced practitioners — a Nursery teacher, Nursery nurse and teaching assistant all of whom have lots of experience of working with young children. They will keep you regularly updated on how your child is getting on and will work closely with you during such an important stage in your child’s development. Occasionally students from local secondary schools and Milton Keynes College may work in the nursery as part of their training to work with young children.
Aims of the Nursery
- To provide a broad and balanced curriculum which embraces the areas of learning in the Early Years Foundation Stage.
- To provide a happy, secure, stimulating and challenging environment.
- To provide opportunities for children to make choices which will facilitate independent learning and enable them to feel confident as learners.
- To provide opportunities for children to develop their communication, linguistic, investigate and problem solving skills through interaction with adults and other children.
- To promote children’s imagination in play through stimulating resources and activities indoors and outdoors.
- To develop a partnership with parents / carers based on a shared understanding of the learning needs of the children.
- To provide high quality, first hand, play based learning experiences that are well planned and contain an appropriate balance between different types of play.
- To provide a range of child initiated, adult initiated and adult focused activities indoors and outdoors.
Please be sure that your child is dressed in clothes that allow him or her to be independent both indoors and outdoors. We suggest that children wear a blue polo t-shirt, maroon nursery sweatshirt and black jogging bottoms. Nursery logo items are available to order through ‘Shirley MK’. Children are to bring a coat to nursery each day. We want the children to be as independent as possible so please consider velcro fastenings for shoes. The children are very active throughout the day so require shoes that support their feet. It is very important that all clothing (including hats, scarves and mittens) is clearly labelled with your child’s name and please check regularly that your child’s name is clearly visible. We ask that children do NOT wear jewellery to nursery. If earrings are worn they must be stud ones and must be removed by the child themselves. Please provide your child with a change of clothing for any toileting accidents.
The nursery is located on our Shenley Wood Campus, Merlewood Drive, Shenley Wood.
There is a pedestrian route to the nursery from Oxley Park over the footbridge adjacent to Holden Avenue in Oxley Park. There is ample parking opposite the campus.
All children are able to access fresh drinking water throughout the session. There will also be an opportunity for your child to have a snack of fruit or vegetable whilst at nursery which is encouraged as part of our commitment to being a healthy nursery. A variety of fruits and vegetables are provided at no charge to parents. Milk is available to children and is free for children under 5 years old. If your child would like milk, you must register to receive it with the Cool Milk company who deliver our milk at https://www.coolmilk.com or phone 0800 142 2972
- The curriculum is carefully planned around the Early Years Foundation Stage based on the areas of learning.
- Our carefully planned and structured learning environment will encourage the all-round development of young children.
- The curriculum will be delivered through play with each child’s interests and needs being at the centre of the planning.
- The staff will spend time observing your child to find out their needs and interests.
- Our learning environment will be organised to support children’s learning in each area of learning and development.
Each child will have a learning journal when they start Nursery. This will be a record of their learning throughout the Nursery year. Photographs will be regularly taken and added along with annotations and observations by both the children, staff and parents and carers.
We would like you to add to these by completing ‘significant moments’ sheets when your child does something amazing!