Personal, Social, Health and Citizenship Education (PSHCE) refers to all the planned learning opportunities, which a school provides to promote personal and social development through the curriculum as a whole.
These our some of our key aims at Oxley Park Academy -
- Develop a set of personal values and attitudes for distinguishing between right and wrong;
- Develop their self-esteem and emotional well-being;
- Make informed choices and decisions;
- Take responsibility for their own actions;
- Become responsible and caring citizens which will help to prepare them for adult life
- Develop knowledge, understanding and appreciation of the pupils’ own and different cultures;
- Appreciate equal opportunities and challenge discrimination and stereotyping.
This is an exciting time for PSHCE at OPA as we prepare to introduce ‘Jigsaw’, a mindful, whole school approach to PSHCE. This approach places particular emphasis on emotional literacy, mental health, SMSC and spiritual development. Jigsaw teaches children to become aware of their thoughts an feelings, as they happen, helping them to concentrate, focus and regulate their emotional states with SMSC and British Values mapped into every lesson. Jigsaw equips children to thrive in today’s world, building resilience and self-esteem and helping them understand real issues e.g. body image, cyber and homophobic bullying, and online safety.
Jigsaw consists of six Puzzles (half-term units of work) containing six Pieces (lessons) for each academic year. Every Piece has two Learning Intentions, one specific to PSHE outcomes and the other designed to develop emotional literacy and social skills.
The six puzzles are as follows—
Being Me in My World - Includes understanding my place in the class, school and global community as well as devising Learning Charters.
Celebrating Difference - Includes anti-bullying (cyber and homophobic bullying included) and diversity work.
Dreams and Goals - Includes goal-setting, aspirations for yourself and the world and working together.
Healthy Me - Includes drugs and alcohol education, self-esteem and confidence as well as healthy lifestyle choices.
Relationships - Includes understanding friendship, family and other relationships, conflict resolution and communication skills.
Changing Me - This puzzle includes sex and relationships education in the context of coping positively with change.