Mr Bates, our maths lead, welcomes you...
Welcome to the Oxley Park Academy maths page. Here you will find information about maths at OPA including our subject pathway, detailing the content taught in each year group and the progression of maths throughout a child’s time at OPA. We follow the White Rose programme of study in school which uses a fluency, reasoning and problem-solving approach to embed concepts.
What is maths?
Maths is the study of numbers, shapes and patterns.
In school we have 9 key concepts in maths. As mathematicians we learn:
- To know and use numbers - by understanding the value of each digit in a number.
- To add and subtract - by using a range of methods to add and subtract numbers.
- To multiply and divide - by using a range of methods to multiply and divide numbers.
- To use fractions - by understanding the concept of part and whole.
- To understand the properties of shapes - by recognising the names and properties of geometric shapes and angles.
- To describe position, direction and movement - by recognising various types of mathematical movements.
- To use measures - by becoming familiar with a range of measures, devices used for measurements and calculations.
- To use statistics - by interpreting, manipulating and presenting data in various ways.
- To use algebra - by recognising mathematical properties and relationships using symbolic representations.
Each year the children become more skilled in these key concepts, building upon their prior knowledge and understanding. Our intention is that when they leave in Year 6 they are able to understand the number system and how it is used, use a range of written methods confidently, be able to interpret fractions accurately, recognise and describe a range of shapes and angles, confidently use mathematical movements, measure using a range of units, read a variety of graphs and use basic algebra to solve equations.
Pupils behave well. They are proud of their school and show high levels of respect, both towards each other and to staff. (Ofsted)
My children enjoy attending each day. They find the work challenging and interesting. They really like the teaching staff and feel supported and have grown in confidence.
Working at Oxley is so special and unique. Everyone is so kind, well-being is at the forefront and our community are a delight. I love my job! (Teacher)
The school missions and values make my son want to be a part of the Academy and try his best. I feel proud that my sons are at Oxley Park and the Nursery and I feel that the changes being made are really positive!
The children are oozing with so much more ‘zest’ since the start of this year, which makes us as parents happier and excited about their future at OPA.
My children love the school! My eldest was quiet, didn’t want to learn, didn’t enjoy school. Now he is settled, has friends and has started to show improvements. My daughter loves her teachers and is extremely enthusiastic.